Wednesday 27 February 2013

Citizen Journalism: Appropriate in Certain Contexts

Although citizen journalism has been around for decades, it has become a pertinent subject of professional journalists, media pundits, and politicians around the world. Through the use of contemporary technological advancements the general public have been granted an unprecedented opportunity to report and opine on current events. No longer are we limited to receiving our news from print or television media. Voices of millions can now be read through three-inch cell phone screens. But will they be read? Does it matter? Is there an appropriate incentive for citizen journalism?

At the center of the Dahlgren article is one of the most important aspects of the topic of citizen journalism: only those who truly desire to, and believe that they do, have a say in society will participate. The author cites that in an era of democratic uncertainty and constant turmoil people want their voices to be heard. It is not simply a concept of saying things for the sake of it, people want their opinions to matter.

The paragon of such uprising-enthused citizen journalism has to be the current state of affairs in the Middle East and Africa. Although many constituents of these geographic regions may not have access to social media or other outlets for reporting, those that do grant the rest of the world access into the depths of the social crimes committed by authoritarian regimes. There is no doubt that this access has afforded those of us in the western world the ability to fully understand these issues - something that traditional forms of journalism might not always be able to provide.

Through my use of Storify and my analysis of the Hermida article, I have found that both citizen journalists and professional journalists alike now have the tools necessary to truly create something special for those who read what they produce. The ease and simplicity of use of Storify sincerely astounded me. Although I cannot see myself producing more content than necessary, simply because of economic reasons, it is a resource that I will now humbly appreciate. Hermida outlines how it is almost a necessity now for professional publications to utilize the tools afforded by social media or risk falling behind the pace and brevity of citizen journalists.

I completely agree with Burns and Highfield when they state that Twitter may be more than random thoughts or opines; it affords users (and producers) the opportunity to become a gatekeeper for news. The ability to retweet is vital in this regard. Let's look at an example:

The New York Times is breaking a story that Mitt Romney's dog has died (levity I know, but for the sake of humour, necessary). I do not follow The New York Times but someone - anyone - that I follow does. Within seconds I now have access to information that I otherwise would not have known.

The use of the retweet feature is only one in a bevy of tools associated with all types of social media. I agree that sometimes clarity and verification - fundamental journalistic integrity measures - can be sacrificed in the face of a large story when using Twitter.

What I do not agree with is the notion that "produsers" are becoming the norm on Twitter. Although some users may feel inclined to participate in producing original content, we must admit that most do not feel that same inclination. I certainly do not. Citizen journalism is about expressing your viewpoints and reporting news when you believe it will make a difference to those who read what you produce. My thoughts are twofold.

Firstly, in line with the ideas put forth by Dahlgren, people only feel a need to produce online content when something important is at stake. The Arab Spring, conflicts in Mali and Nigeria; these are problems that we may not otherwise have full access to without the use of citizen journalism. Cabinet changes in the Ontario government, the winners at the Oscars; these are issues/non-issues that myriad professional news outlets have granted me access to at no cost.

Secondly, in line with my previous blog posts and their economic subtext, I am simply not willing to produce content for free unless some other benefit exists. Jenkins and Thorburn faltered in their article, that putting forth a false optimism and relying on the thought that most individuals desire to indulge in citizen journalism. I would argue that most individuals do not desire to indulge in citizen journalism. I enjoy reaping the rewards from the journalism of others, professional or otherwise, but there is no incentive for me to get involved beyond a rudimentary standpoint.

To conclude, the technological advancements of the past decade and the decades before that have been immediately influential to the reporting of news and opinions around the world. The advent and subsequent development of social media for this same effect has proliferated possibilities. However, without adequate incentives (remuneration, social progress) in the developed world, most users will never become producers.

Photo credit attributed to user: Stuart Miles on freedigitalphotos.net

5 comments:

  1. I liked your last point about how most users will not become producers. For a long time, this statement was true for me. Before this course, I was never someone who would post something on the internet, In fact, I got rid of Facebook because I was tired of that stuff altogether. However, I'm beginning to see more and more the importance of contributing online. I never believed in social media as a valid source of information, but I have learned that in some contexts social media proves to quite relevant, and that by contributing to this, I am doing something good for the online community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second blog that I have read and commented on that has been in complete agreement with my views and opinions on citizen journalism. You specifically mentioned Twitter and its ability to act as a news centre. This has to be one of my favourite aspects about the social media tool. I thoroughly enjoy logging into twitter and reading about the days' current events. I get my sports news and my world news from what people tweet on twitter. I also agree with what you had to say about there being no incentive for producing more online content. Despite the fact that I am reading and providing information through the various social media sites, I would definitely feel more inclined to produce more information if there was some sort of benefit for myself. I think that there are others who have the same belief as us and will limit their online production because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you brought light to the Dahlgren article about those who believe that they have a say in society will participate to citizen journalism. I guess this could be a reason as to why many of us do not participate. Maybe we do not think we have a say in society because no one will listen. Who knows? Other reasons may include that we are not credible, or even the fact that we like to keep our opinions to ourselves. However, it may be argued that only professionals are entitled to have a say because they have a title and a job responsibility to write. Other popular people such as politicians may be included in this group. Furthermore, I believe that we students do not want to contribute because we do not want to. You stated that there is nothing in it for us because there is no benefit in the end. For instance, there is no monetary incentive and this would be enough to resist participation. Others individuals may actually be motivated because of intrinsic desires and as a result, they would most likely participate in citizen journalism. It's what they want to do and nothing is stopping them from doing. You stated that it is probable that we will be more of consumers as opposed to producers without the use of incentives. I do agree because that how we humans are. We seek benefits that will ultimately interest and satisfy us in the end. Professionals are paid to contribute and produce material in society anyway. This is their passion and that is what they are paid to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, I agree wholeheartedly with your final two points on citizen journalism. Journalism to me is an important profession because of the distinction that it can place upon a certain subject, while delivering it to a wide audience. Citizen journalism seems more in line with petty gossip and rumours, rather than anything substantive. Once in a while, people get it right and can come together for a great cause like the Arab Spring in 2010. Otherwise, it’s people voicing their complaints with Oscar winners, and talking about how unbelievably long they had to wait for their meal to show up at a restaurant.
    I also agree with your point of compensation or some sort of benefit for citizen journalism. If I were to report on an issue, I’d put a solid amount of time and effort into it because I want to present myself as being a credible source. As a result of this, I have little interest in devoting my spare time to reporting on thing so others can look at it and comment on it being “cool”.

    In some ways, I envision citizen journalism as being a crowd of people taking pictures and tweeting about a cyclist that has been hit by a car, rather than actually bothering to call for help.

    - Nate (http://nwebb13.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring up interesting thoughts that I myself did not come to during this weeks module. One was the state of affairs relating to the middle east and Africa. I wonder, without the reach of social media applications would the major news organization choose to educate citizens on certain atrocities in other parts of the world? It is interesting to think about because, there are individuals are absolutely reliant on social media for all forms of news. You talk about how you would never have know that Mitt Romney's dog had died. Some people would never have know there is a war going on in Syria, or that a new pope was elected just recently. I am in agreement with you about storify, other than the problems some of us encountered the application was easy and fun to use.



    ReplyDelete